August 29th, 2006

A Tough Choice

Here's my dilemma of the day. Old Red needs to go into the shop. I'm not sure what's wrong, but the idle is so rough that it threatens to stall at every traffic light. It's probably one of those fuel-air mixture problems. The last time I drove "him" -- for some reason, we all decided a long time ago that Old Red is a boy -- I did make it home without incident. Now I have to figure out how to convey him down to European Auto Tech for repairs. My choices are A) to call for a tow, which will mean waiting a long time and using up one of our free tows; or B) to see how far I can make it before the car won't run. If I I somehow manage to make it all the way there, B) would be the better option by far, since a lot less of my day will be ruined. I wonder, though, whether I have the psychological fortitude to keep sitting at intersections afraid I'm going to have to push the car to the side of the road.