I've had a few turkey sandwiches over the past two days, but always under distracting circumstances: sitting next to my father while he does the crossword puzzle, watching the Great Alaska Shootout with my father-in-law, eyeing the remaining apple-cranberry pie while sorting though stacks of random New York Times sections. Tonight, though, will be different. The relatives have departed. The remaining members of this household have gone to bed early and the cats, delighted to have their bedroom back, have joined them. Tonight I will be alone with my turkey sandwich and whatever I choose to read. The bread will be white. The mayonnaise will be sufficiently thick in its application. The cranberry sauce will drip from the sides as I apply pressure with my fingertips. It sounds like a code. But it isn't. Tonight will not be allegory. Tonight will be pure.
Since I like benlinus a lot and also owe him one -- or two -- I am responding to his tag by doing the "six random facts about yourself" meme, though I normally steer clear of herd behavior on LJ:
• I badly wanted to be in the Air Force when I was in elementary schoolWell, there you have it. I'm supposed to tag six people, which seems a little too aggressive for my taste. I think I'll just invite some LJ friends to share: zokah, tommix, xmoonbunnyx, siyeh,xxxpunkxgrrlxxx, and pewter_surfer.
• I have a hard time believing that Sigmund Freud had it all wrong, since my own psyche fits his theories like a kid glove
• I really love a good chicken-fried steak. I've had very few, the best being at a 24-hour diner in Mitchell, South Dakota -- home of the Corn Palace -- that was simply packed with locals at 2am
• I have shivered uncontrollably when confronted with the prospect of blissful transgression
• I learned a lot about driving by playing Pole Position, even though my mother insisted that it would not help me in the real world
•I actually do know what I'm doing, even if I pretend otherwise